The Grand Lodge of Saskatchewan, A.F. & A.M. was established on August 9, 1906. There were about 900 masons in 29 lodges. As of 2006 there were 3,800 masons belonging to 63 different lodges.
It has always been a source of Masonic satisfaction that Freemasonry in the territory now controlled by the Grand Lodge of Saskatchewan, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, received its authority from two Canadian Grand Lodges. The formation of the Lodges was made possible by the enthusiasm of the Brethren, their desire to have fraternal relations and their belief that the Order would provide a real agency for good in the new country where they were now making a home for themselves and their families.
Saskatchewan's the first Lodge building in Prince Albert
In the year 1879, the brethren of Prince Albert caused the first Lodge in our area to be instituted, under the authority of the Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Canada. This Grand Lodge later on in 1880 gave them a warrant, and on the Grand Register there appeared Kinistino Lodge No. 381.
In 1882 Kinistino Lodge transferred its allegiance to the Grand Lodge of Manitoba. From then on all of the Lodges, prior to the formation of the Grand Lodge of Saskatchewan, bore true allegiance to the Grand Lodge of Manitoba and we have the following sequence. Each of the first twenty-four lodges was in possession of a charter but the last five were working under dispensation.
1879 Kinistino Prince Albert 1904 Saskatchewan Saskatoon
1883 Wascana Regina 1904 Carlyle Carlyle
1883 Moose Jaw Moose Jaw 1905 Melfort Melfort
1886 Qu'Appelle Valley Fort Qu'Appelle 1904* Battle Battleford
1886 Indian Head Indian Head 1905 Weyburn Weyburn
1886 Qu'Appelle Qu'Appelle 1905 Arcola Arcola
1886 Moosomin Moosomin 1905 Rosthern Rosthern
1890 Ashlar Whitewood 1905 Britannia Lloydminster
1893 Maple Leaf Maple Creek 1905 Wolseley Wolseley
1893 Evening Star Grenfell 1905 Estevan Estevan
1894 N.W.M.P Regina 1906 Swift Current Swift Current
1899 Yorkton Yorkton 1906 Alameda Alameda
1899 Duck Lake Duck Lake 1906 Hanley Hanley
1902 Sintaluta Sintaluta 1906 Heward Heward
1903 Amity Carnduff
*First instituted 1886; surrendered charter 1901; reinstituted 1904
On the creation of the Province in 1905 there developed a desire for the formation of a Grand Lodge of Saskatchewan. The initatory move was taken by Wascana Lodge at Regina on April 3rd, 1906. Kinistino, being the oldest Lodge, was asked to act and in pursuance thereof a convention of representatives of the Masonic Lodges within the boundaries of the Province of Saskatchewan was called to meet on May 25th, 1906, at Prince Albert. A delegation was named to wait upon the Grand Lodge of Manitoba for its consent and in June of that year this was granted.
On August 9th, 1906, the organization meeting was held in Regina. There were now twenty-nine Lodges, of which twenty-one were represented by their Officers and four by proxies. A Consitution, based on that of the Grand Lodge of Manitoba, was adopted.
The first Grand Master was M.W. Brother H.H. Campkin; Deputy Grand Master, R.W. Brother C.O. Davidson; Grand Senior Warden, R.W. Brother H. Jagger; Grand Junior Warden, R.W. Brother W.B. Tate, and Grand Secretary, R.W. Bro. J.M. Shaw